Language exam TestDaF (Deutsch als Fremdsprache) is carried out in Germany, and licensed by language centers in 93 countries, including Russia and the CIS. For example, in Russia it is possible to hand over 31 language centers and universities in more than 20 cities. TestDaF certificate is recognized by all universities in Germany.

The examination is conducted in all countries except China in the same day, 6 times a year. “TestDaF is standardized, that is identical in form and content in all countries – says Thomas Boehm. – Inspection of examination papers and their evaluation is also taking place in a centralized form.”

The exam consists of four parts: checking the understanding of written and oral texts, as well as the skills of writing and speaking. Exam results are measured at three levels: TestDaF: the third level (TDN 3) is considered to be the lowest, and the fifth (TDN 5) – the highest. Typically, for admission to a German university you have to achieve all four parts of the exam at least the fourth level (TDN 4). The cost of the exam varies from country to country, the price can be found directly at the test center.

Other certificates

In addition to the TestDaF there are a number of language diplomas that are recognized by German universities. In particular, the “German language diploma of the second degree” (Deutsches Sprachdiplom II), “central exam the highest level” (Zentrale Oberstufenprüfung – ZOP), “Small German Language Diploma” (Kleines Deutsches Sprachdiplom – KDS) and “Big German Language Diploma” (Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom – GDS). One of the last three certificates can be obtained from the Goethe-Institut in Germany and its affiliates worldwide.

If you speak German at a high level, but you do not have a certificate confirming this knowledge, remember – there are always exceptions. “Some universities are exempt from taking language examinations of students who at home studying German or attend German schools. The university has the right to make such decisions”, – said the representative of the Conference of Rectors of Germany, Thomas Boehm and advised to seek appropriate clarifications directly to the university.


Anyone who is going to study at a German university English-language specialty, confirming German language is not necessary, but you will have to take the Test of English. The most common certificate recognized by universities in Germany, – TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language). Also, there is no problem with acception diplomas exams developed by the University of Cambridge: IELTS (International English Language Testing System), CPE (Certificate of Proficiency in English) and CAE (Certificate of Advanced English).

About the Author: Don Mart is a high quality writer. His major is «Phycology». He investigates the issues of children’s development.

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+